An experienced business owner knows just how powerful word of mouth can be. Prospective customers trust the word of their fellow customers over advertisements, influenced recommendations, and paid promotions, which isn’t surprising. Peers are more likely to be honest and unbiased when they recommend a product or service. At Brand Maximum, we always recommend that our clients consider this medium and its applications in the modern context.
What is Word of Mouth
Word of Mouth is when customers or individuals that have used a product or service recommend it to others. They often share their experiences with the product or service, point out the pros and cons, and recommend the items to their loved ones. This has changed considerably with the advent of the internet. Social Media and Google Reviews have a big impact on a customer’s purchase decision.
The Influence of Social Media
Social media is a very volatile platform with high risks and high rewards. If a product or service goes viral for the right reasons, people can experience a significant boost in sales. That’s one of the reasons why it is important to ensure your social media mentions are in good order. Through social media, you can harness the power of User Generated Content. The best ways to promote this on social media and get more attention is to:
- Create A Relevant Hashtag – A good hashtag will allow people to find your product or service on social media and all User Generated Content (UGC) related to it. Hashtags work on popular platforms like Twitter, Instagram, and even YouTube.
- Showcase the Best UCG – Customers love it when brands pay attention to them or recognize their content. The best way to incentivize them creating more content is to showcase it on your profile.
- Sense of Community – Social media allows brands to establish personal relationships with their target audience. This can be done by creating a community of customers, social media influencers, and interested persons. A sense of community can help products and services gain much more prominence.
The Importance of Google Reviews
Google Reviews, especially star ratings have a big impact on a customer’s buying decision. Around 92% of shoppers read online reviews and 40% form opinions on products or services by just reading them. Here are some ways to influence that:
- Encourage Reviews – Encourage customers to leave positive comments and ratings on Google. It just requires making a simple request at the end of the shopping experience.
- Give Easy Access – If you’re an online platform, provide links to different review platforms like Yelp, Google, and even your social media platforms. If the process is easy, customers are more likely to do it.